History & Conversion
Barton farm is recorded in the Domesday book of 1068. It is the site of the former manor of Hittisleigh (a manor being an anglo-saxon unit of administration). The current farm house is believed to be at least 500 years old.
The Oak Barn is an eighteenth century granary and general barn. It is built traditionally in cob, a mix of sub soil and straw. The building was converted to a wedding venue and holiday let in 2010/2011, opening in May 2011 using local craftsmen and traditional means of construction, including green oak trusses using oak from the farm woods, lime plasters and re-mixed cob. The barn is heated by woodchip.